Mar 21, 2009

Get on the bus, Gus

Well, I've tried this blogging stuff before and failed miserably. I figured I'd try again since I'm sucked in to the interweb all the time and I'm reading so many great articles about topics that interest me and this will help me chronical and manage them all.

I hate to admit it, but I'm totally loving Twitter. It's been the rage for a while now and I've been able to avoid it for some time, allowing myself to be mildly entertained by Facebook instead. But the thing I love about Twitter is that I can find information that actually will have a positive impact on my life or my work. Even better, the information is finding me! Facebook is merely a way to fight off boredom, and a lame one at that. I'm now connected to a bunch of people that I only mildly care about, including an inordinate amount of people I used to go to school with and if I didn't keep in touch with them before, why would I want to be in touch with them now? (It's too late now, I guess).

So, back to Twitter - I've got it set up so that I get news reports from the NYTimes, BNET, Advertising Age, and TechUpdate. Not to mention the Onion for my humor fix and Perez Hilton for my stupid human trick fix. I get to keep up with what's going on in New Orleans with a number of NOLA tweets (we've been thinking of relocating), as well as various business leaders that I admire like Tom Martin from Zehnder Communications in New Orleans and Piers Fawkes from PSFK who specializes in trend identification and development. From a tech perspective I've got Mashables tech news as well as Facebook news and Twitter news. And then there's the businesses I get to follow - Zappos, Amazon, Whole Foods. This seems like alot of stuff to have to wade through but Twitter makes it easy to stay on top of everything. My only wish is that I had more time to really dedicate to READING all the great soundbites I'm perusing.

Maybe I haven't discovered it yet, since I'm so new to Twitter, but what I could really use now is a way to catalog all this great information - kinda like the Dewey Decimal System... Remember him?!

And so goes my first blogpost. Lets hope my posts in the future are more thought provoking.

No comments:

Post a Comment